|The 2020 recruiting season is upon us! Federated Insurance Companies, a nationally re-known commercial insurance company headquartered in Owatonna, MN, will be hiring 20+ System Developers and 2 System Developer Interns in 2020. To that end, I am reaching out to the UMD CS and MIS students to garner some interest in learning more about Federated and potentially applying for a position. Please read the information below, and if intrigued with this employment opportunity, please stop by the Federated booth at the Head of the Lakes Job Fair (in Kirby Ballroom) on Thursday, 10/03. I look forward to seeing you!
Who am I?
I am a 1992 graduate from UMD and 25+ year IT employee of Federated Insurance Companies. After spending about 10 years as a programmer, analyst and project manager, I took my current position as a Business Technology Manager responsible for a team of dedicated IT professionals. I also recruit at UMD and am part of a team looking to hire IT professionals into our January and June 2020 training and internship programs. If you are graduating in December or May or are currently a Junior interested in an internship and the position described below intrigues you, please stop and see me at the Federated booth at the Head of the Lakes job fair at UMD next week.
Who is Federated Insurance?
Federated is a career employer offering challenging work opportunities that allow you to grow as a professional and as a person for an entire career. Once again, Federated was ranked in the top 10 of the Top 150 Workplaces in Minnesota by the Star Tribune. Businesses are the backbone of our country’s economy; they are also our clients. The success of our business clients is our mission. We strive to protect people from preventive harm by helping them reduce risk. When a loss occurs, we are there to help our clients, their employees and their families to recover and restore. We collectively embrace our responsibility for the ongoing success of our clients. If you want a career that make a difference for family-owned businesses, communities, and society as a whole, we may be just the right fit for you!
What does a System Developer at Federated do?
We are seeking candidates who are problem solvers, enjoy analyzing issues, revel in technology, and are striving to be system experts. As an IT team member, we would rely on you to improve our operations through technology-based projects.
- · Writing routine programs using approved languages and tools to develop and enhance business applications
- · Developing test cases, cycles, and scripts for specific tests
- · Conducting unit, system, regression, and acceptance testing as well as non-functional tests such as performance and capacity.
- · Utilizing basic problem solving techniques to gather information on requirements or diagnose system issues
- · Responding to routine internal and external customer needs with appropriate urgency and in accordance with standards and service level agreements
Full-Time Position Qualifications:
- · Four-year degree with a preferred major in information systems, computer-related field, mathematics, or business; or equivalent experience
- · Strong Computer knowledge
- · Excellent Microsoft Office skills including: Word, Excel and Outlook
- · An unquestioned ability to retain confidential business and personnel information
- · Must be legally authorized to work in the United States and will not require employer visa sponsorship now or in the future
To learn more about Federated please visit our Federated Insurance Website. And again, if you are at all interested in what Federated has to offer, please stop by at the job fair and introduce yourself. Thanks for your time, I hope to see you on the 3rd!