Programmer Analyst I / II – SCADA System Support
Rowe Energy Control Center – Duluth, MN
Posting Close Date: March 16, 2017
Who is ALLETE?
ALLETE is an innovative company with more than a century of experience engaged in transforming the energy landscape in the upper Midwest. Our businesses include: Minnesota Power, the largest electric utility in northern Minnesota; Superior Water Light and Power of Wisconsin; North Dakota-based BNI Coal, ALLETE Properties; and ALLETE Clean Energy. To find out more, watch a short introductory video about ALLETE and visit ALLETE.com.
What will I do?
If hired, you would join ALLETE’s SCADA System Support team. This team is responsible for performing a wide range of IT functions, including: supporting the mission-critical Energy Management System. Whatever your IT interests, if you are a motivated self-starter with a passion for digging in to the details to figure out how something works, we would love to talk to you about this opportunity.
Some Responsibilities may include:
Operations and Support:
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware and software
- Review system and application logs
- Troubleshoot implementation and service issues
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures
- Apply patches and upgrades on a regular basis
- Upgrade administrative tools and utilities
Engineering & Provisioning:
- Install/rebuild servers and configure hardware
- Install and configure network hardware
- Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures
- Research and recommend innovative approaches for system administration tasks
- Deploy, monitor, audit, document and maintain the lifecycles of various products, services
What sort of candidate are we looking for?
The ideal candidate would be someone who has:
- An insatiable desire to learn
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- The ability to be flexible and handle multiple work projects and priorities
- Well-developed written and verbal communication skills
What are the education requirements for this position?
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Accounting or equivalent
What is the required experience for this position?
Programmer Analyst I
- Related experience preferred, but not required
Programmer Analyst II
- Minimum of 4 years of work experience in related field
Are there other requirements?
- Occasional travel to other company locations and the ability to provide occasional off-hour emergency support is also required.
- This position may be subject to assessment of skills, job match and/or aptitude.
- Employer will not sponsor VISAs for position.
To really grab our attention, you would tell us about your experiences with any of the following:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux (or other flavors of Linux)
- Microsoft Server 2012, 2008 and/or Windows 7
- Linux Shell, PowerShell and/or other scripting languages
- VMware or other virtualization software
- Veritas NetBackup
- Sophos Enterprise Console
- Network Equipment and Configuration (Switches, Firewalls and Routers)
- Java, C#, or other programming languages / frameworks
- Database querying or modeling
- Compliance and/or change control
- Real-time control systems
Where will I be located?
You would work “on top of the hill” at the Rowe Energy Control center in Duluth. You would join a team of highly-talented Programmer / Analysts who literally help keep the lights on in northern Minnesota.
When should I apply?
You should apply before March 16, 2017. External candidates must apply online at ALLETE.com/careers.
Why should I apply?
For your hard work and contributions, you’ll receive a strong compensation package that offers flexibility and choice in the things that matter to you: your money, your health, your time and your career. The compensation package includes a competitive salary, robust retirement plan, medical and dental benefits, generous vacation and holiday time off, and numerous professional development opportunities.