Programmer Analyst I – Distribution Operations Support
Herbert Service Center – Duluth, MN
Full-Time / Regular
Posting Close Date: March 10, 2017
- Under supervision, provides technical analysis, programming and support to users including design, development, modification, problem resolution, and short-term planning in order to meet business objectives.
- Under supervision, plans and recommends process solutions for the company.
- Responsible for design, requirement analysis, installation, documentation, trouble shooting, and monitoring of computer systems.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills required to establish and maintain positive working relationships.
Who is ALLETE?
ALLETE is an innovative company with more than a century of experience engaged in transforming the energy landscape in the upper Midwest. Our businesses include: Minnesota Power, the largest electric utility in northern Minnesota; Superior Water Light and Power of Wisconsin; North Dakota-based BNI Coal, ALLETE Properties; and ALLETE Clean Energy. To find out more, watch a short introductory video about ALLETE and visit ALLETE.com.
What will I do?
If hired, you would join ALLETE’s Distribution Support team. This team is responsible for performing a wide range of IT functions, including: supporting the critical Outage Management System (OMS) and Geographical Information System (GIS). Whatever your IT interests, if you are a motivated self-starter with a passion for digging in to the details to figure out how something works, we would love to talk to you about this opportunity.
What sort of candidate are you looking for?
The ideal candidate requires:
- An insatiable desire to learn.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- The ability to be flexible and handle multiple work projects and priorities.
- Well-developed written and verbal communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Accounting or equivalent (or will obtain related degree prior to July of 2017).
Prior experience is not required. However, the ideal candidate would possess experience with the following:
- Microsoft Server 2012, 2008 and/or Windows 7
- GIS related technologies
- Java, C#, or other programming languages / frameworks
- Database querying or modeling
- Real-time control systems or GeoEvent processing
- For this position, occasional travel to other company locations and the ability to provide occasional off-hour emergency support is also required.
- This position may be subject to assessment of skills, job match and/or aptitude.
Where will I be located?
You would work “on top of the hill” at the Herbert Service Center in Duluth, MN.
When should I apply?
The deadline to apply for this position is March 10, 2017. External candidates must apply online at ALLETE.com/careers.
Why should I apply?
For your hard work and contributions, you’ll receive a strong compensation package that offers flexibility and choice in the things that matter to you: your money, your health, your time and your career. The compensation package includes a competitive salary, robust retirement plan, medical and dental benefits, generous vacation and holiday time off, and numerous professional development opportunities.
Employer will not sponsor VISAs for this position.