Date: Dec 5, 2012
Location: Plymouth, MN, US
Java Intern – GRC
Governance, Risk & Compliance is a fast-growing Thomson Reuters business. It focuses on connecting our customers’ business to the ever ever-changing regulatory environment, with client groups including compliance, audit, legal and risk functions in financial services, law firms, accounting firms, regulators, insurance, energy and other industries undergoing regulatory change. The global business has over 1250 employees located in major locations across 15 countries, including London, New York, Washington DC, Minnesota, Dubai, Cape Town, Penang, Singapore and Sydney. Industry expectations are that governance, risk and compliance market will grow rapidly worldwide over the next few years, and this business unit positions Thomson Reuters very strongly to take advantage of these increasing opportunities. The business is expected to grow at double digits over the next 5 years.
The Governance, Risk & Compliance unit works with teams across Thomson Reuters to leverage the full capabilities of the business.
This opportunity will allow for real world, hands on development experience in a corporate environment. Interns will work directly with seasoned development professionals in an agile/scrum setting. The languages will include but not limited to Java, HTML, Actionscript. Interns will work independently and as part of a group. Work projects will be supervised. Interns need to be self starters who are passionate about development and are focussed on results.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
– Review and understand detailed business, functional, and technical requirements
– Provide input into detailed project estimates and work plan
– Participate in development of detailed technical specifications
– Accurately document design, code, and other work
– Develop simple to intermediate code for new or existing applications according to specifications
– Participate in design code and code reviews
– Perform testing on applicable code
– Other related duties as assigned.
We are the leading source of intelligent information for the world’s businesses and professionals, providing customers with competitive advantage. Intelligent information is a unique synthesis of human intelligence, industry expertise and innovative technology that provides decision-makers with the knowledge to act, enabling them to make better decisions faster. We deliver this must-have insight to the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, intellectual property and science and media markets, powered by the world’s most trusted news organization.
– EDUCATION/CERTIFICATION: actively pursuing BA/BS in related field
– Understanding of programming and document concepts and procedures
– 0-1 year of experience – Curl, Java or other object oriented languages, related course work coupled with project or work related experience.
– SQL experience/knowledge
– General understanding of systems and application administration.
– Attention to detail and accuracy.
– Good communication skills, verbal and written.
– Excellent analytical and problem skills.
– Ability to successfully manage multiple projects/clients, time and resources.
– Ability to work with specific deadlines.
– Effective interpersonal skills; the ability to handle objections and counter feedback professionally necessary.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 60,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance – and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit careers.thomsonreuters.com.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
According to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), the H-1B visa cap has been met for the 2012 fiscal year (October 1, 2012-September 30, 2013).
Primary Location: US-MN-Plymouth
Organization: F&R GRC Technology Operations
Education Level: Bachelor’s Degree (±16 years)
Job Type: Internship
Nearest Major Market: Minneapolis
Job Segments: Intern, Developer, Java, Law, Compliance, Entry Level, Technology, Legal