Intern – Engineering / IT
Location: Rowe Energy Control Center – Duluth, MN
Hiring Manager: Don Kozlovski
Close Date: 4/12/2011
Minnesota Power, an ALLETE Company, is looking for an intern to assist in the Information Technology Solutions (ITS) Department. The selected candidate will work with the Energy Management System Support (EMSS) Group on a variety of programming projects. This internship provides an excellent opportunity to develop programmer/analyst skills, understand business processes, and develop creative computer application solutions.
- Under supervision, provides technical analysis, programming, and support to users.
- Utilizes skills in the planning, design, development, modification, troubleshooting and documentation of solutions to meet business objectives.
- Designs and implements relational database structures, applications, interfaces, and reports to achieve business requirements.
- Applicant must be nearing completion of his / her sophomore year of a Bachelor’s Degree Program.
- Majors in Electrical and Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or Computer Information Systems will be accepted.
- Electrical Engineering coursework is desirable.
- Minimum GPA: 2.8
- Related work experience is desirable.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills required to establish and maintain positive working relationships.
- Applicant must be flexible and able to handle multiple changing priorities.
- Ability to work independently or as part of a group is essential.
- Familiarity with several of the following:
- Java, C/C++, Web Page Development (HTML, ASP, JSP, Java Script)
- Structured Query Language (SQL)
- Visual Basic
- Object Oriented Programming
- Relational Database Modeling
- Unix Shell Scripting
- cyber security
- Microsoft Windows 2000/XP
- Microsoft Office
Summer 2011 with continuation likely through the 2011-12 school year; 15-20 hours per week during school term; 40 hours per week during summer break. Hours of work: Flexible between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. – compatible with school schedule.
Rate of Pay: $13.75/hour.
This position has been posted both internally and externally. Qualified applicants must complete a job profile and apply online at www.allete.com. Internal applicants must apply through the Intranet homepage, and notify their supervisor. Those candidates selected for an interview will be asked to provide an official transcript to the hiring manager.